Monday, October 14, 2013

LEAVES LETTING GO

"October", oil,
by Linda McCoy

     I wonder if I could conduct myself more often the way the autumn leaves are living in these last days of their lives. To use a familiar phrase, they’re simply “letting go”, setting themselves loose from their limbs and allowing the breezes to bring them where they will. They’re surrendering, in a sense, submitting to the stronger powers of winds and seasons, and in that surrender, I see a kind of lighthearted liberty. I know they’re just leaves, but perhaps people like me could learn from them – learn to allow more than resist, to let go more than grasp and cling. The winds will take the leaves where they need to go, and maybe my days, if I trust them, will deliver me, each evening, to exactly where I’m best prepared to be. Leaves seem to sense when it’s time to float instead of hold tight, a lesson I may be just starting to learn.     


No comments:

Post a Comment