Thursday, January 16, 2014

A TALE THAT IS TOLD

"A Good Book", oil,
by Maryanne Jacobsen
It surprises me that I still sometimes consider my personal life so all-important, as though I am at the center of the universe’s show, when the truth is that my life is as brief as a passing shadow, as fleeting as a tale that is told. In the immeasurable history of the universe, my life span is a simple snap of the fingers, something that flashes and disappears in a small part of a second. It’s a bubble in the stream of time that bursts almost before the everlasting stars have seen it. This doesn’t mean my little life is insignificant – just that it’s not the center of things, not the axis around which the world revolves. Hamilton Salsich is a wave in the ceaseless river of the cosmos - a wave that’s special, yes, but no more so than a small mouse or the breeze that’s blowing past our house just now. I love my life, but I hope I can love it no more than I love other people’s lives, or the rolling river near our house, or the small birds that bring their beautiful lives to our feeders. It’s a little tale, this life of mine, a tale among countless other brief and wonderful tales the universe has been telling almost forever.       

No comments:

Post a Comment