Saturday, January 25, 2014

WELCOMING THOUGHTS


Delycia and I welcome people into our home every so often for tea or dinner, and I am realizing that I should be more welcoming to the thoughts that move past the home of my mind. A steady line of thoughts constantly passes through my life, and I am trying to learn to welcome them all, even those filled with fear or dismay or discouragement. What I am slowly understanding is that my thoughts are not me, but simply frail and short-lived whispers that will slip smoothly away if I just stand aside, observe them in a welcoming way , and then let them quietly leave. I could welcome thoughts of fear, for instance – politely listen to them, let them take their time passing through, and then see them to the door and down the road. I’m learning that thoughts are as harmless as I allow them to be – simply evanescent voices that will soon disappear if I stand by with something like a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment