Monday, August 17, 2015

RECESS

In Hanover,  NH, with Delycia

     This morning, as we watched young people relaxing on the Dartmouth College green – tossing Frisbees and footballs, stretching out in the sunshine, strolling hand-in-hand – it brought back memories of “recess” when I was a kid, and made we wonder if these years in my 70’s have become a wholesale recess for me. The word “recess”, coming from the Latin, originally meant “go back”, and perhaps I’ve gone back, fairly wholeheartedly, to my childhood days. Perhaps I’ve become a born-again kid, for whom de-stressing and loosening up is an accustomed way of life. These days, I sometimes toss minutes and hours around like Frisbees, just seeing how time can sail and soar when I’m not fighting it. My days are occasionally like sitting in steady sunshine, or strolling with life to see where it takes me. I still work hard, especially at reading and writing and listening and thinking and loving, but I do it like I did recess in 3rd grade. These days I skip more than I struggle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment