Wednesday, January 28, 2015

WINTER GIFTS


      
"Snowdrifts", watercolor, by Shanti Marie
     Today’s hard-blowing blizzard has me thinking of the gifts winter gives us. Sure, there are hardships associated with today’s storm, but I’m trying to see Juno’s gifts more than the misfortunes. First, there’s the gift of the fluffy, flying, whirling snow – a sight that still thrills me like it did when I was a boy. Someone who had never seen snow would be astonished at what I see outside my window just now – an endless dance of soft white pieces of enchantment, a gift to make an old guy get young again. Then there are the gifts given by the strong wind -- the flowing, multifarious snowdrifts, as distinctive as sculptures in a gallery. Tomorrow, in the welcome sunshine, I will tour the storm’s museum in our neighborhood, admiring these evanescent, once-in-a-lifetime snow sculptures produced by this artisitic and generous storm. I may feel more fortunate than ever as I look at what powerful but fleeting Juno, now vanishing into the universe, produced for me.     

No comments:

Post a Comment