Sunday, August 23, 2015

SOFT WEAPONS


 I suppose like many of us, I grew up with the idea that life is a non-stop skirmish with all kinds of enemies – hostile people, disease, disaster – and it was my task to take on these enemies with the best weapons available. Over the years, I learned to use the swords of self-deception, self-satisfaction, egotism, and a sort of concealed belligerence in wars with these so-called enemies, but in the second half of my life, I came in contact with softer weapons that seemed to work way better. I guess I learned some lessons from watching water – how its softness is what makes its astonishing strength. Water is so easy-going and graceful, and yet so forceful. It effortlessly accepts whatever falls into it, and yet is strong enough to support ships of enormous size. Slowly, my weapons -- most of them, anyway --  have turned into water’s kind of softness, into light and mild qualities like gentleness and acceptance. I’ve found that calmness and hospitality can sometimes disarm the scariest enemies. In a good way, I guess I’ve grown soft with age. Learning from water, my best weapon is now a sincere welcome to whatever happens. In softness I’m finding victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment